Friday, November 26, 2010

Job Hunting: Victory!

It's a Winston Churchill kind of day here in unemployment land.  I'm doing this little victory dance, kinda of old school, but Winnie would approve.  Here's the scoop.  I'm typing away, venting about how uncivilized the job search is in this economy and I get a call.

Flash back to last week.  I interviewed for a social work job I actually wanted.  I was convinced that it was my worst interview ever.  Other than no booger hanging from my nose, I was spectacularly unimpressive.  Hang on here, it's a bumpy ride, but back to the present.  The call was to offer me the job.  Actually, they offered me a part time job, but I'm good with this.  I'm going to need some adjustment time anyway.  I'll be in withdrawal when my "Law and Order" afternoons are disturbed.


If you think this is the end of my ironic story, it gets better.  The next day, I got a call about a job that I had applied for a month ago.  OMG!  It gets even better.  About an hour later, hubby got a call for a second interview.

So my foot is stuck so far in mouth it is finding another exit.  How is this happening? This should be the worst time of year to find a job.  Nothing ever happens at the holidays. I was planning to move under the bridge sometime around Christmas Eve.  My trash bags were packed, but great balls of fire, the phone is ringing off the hook!

Have I jinxed my good luck by talking about it?  Of course not...uhhhh...I hope not.  Just let me say that unemployment is at 15.8% in my area.  I am extremely grateful for a chance to get back in the job market.  I promise to make you all proud.  I promise to not blog about my job or to insult my boss or to get in any trouble of any kind.  For the first time in my work life, I shall follow the rules.  Oh please, please keep your fingers crossed for me.  Being good isn't one of my strongest traits.  I'll need your support or a support group.

Good luck to everyone still looking for a job.  If I can give you a reference, just let me know.  That's what friends do, you know. 





 

3 comments:

  1. What, you're not going to make fun of your fellow workers or bosses or clients on your blog??? What fun is that? Go back to Yellowstone, at least we'll have something to laugh about together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Judy, welcome back out of retirement! That's amazing that you were offered two jobs with the employment rate being so high. Whenever I'm facing any ethical dilemmas now I know who to turn to, you can be my online mentor! :-)

    And weren't you ever taught to never bullshit a bullshitter? You not use sarcasm or find something to vent about, this I have to see! lol

    Wishing you a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I graduated from college 38 years ago and promptly entered the Fortune 500 rat race putting in about 16 years and then became a small business owner for the balance of my work life. The new chair of the MIS Dept at my alma mater invited me over to the campus last year and one of the topics he discussed was business ethics. He asked what I had learned at his fine institution back then and I replied "nothing" as ethics were not in the curriculum. He assured me that the business school is now placing a major emphasis on the subject. Well, it's about time and long overdue. The lack of ethics I've experienced from my "bosses" would fill a novel or become the basis for a graduate school thesis at the very least. Looking back, I actually resigned three 6 figure jobs over 3 decades because I could not be a part of this malfeasance. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "goody two shoes" kind of guy, but I know right from wrong and I didn't need to compromise my principles for a few extra bucks. The reason I bring this up is that I had my second interview with a prospective employer yesterday and the subject of ethics came up. Is it possible that a company exists here in "unemployment land" that makes ethical behavior a core principal? I certainly hope I'm offered the position because it would be extremely rewarding to represent a firm who "does the right thing." Wish me luck, please!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me. Listening is free. Advice will cost you.